Ardgowan Hospice is committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold, whether you are a donor, volunteer, shopper or campaigner.
Developing a better understanding of our supporters through their personal data allows us to fundraise more efficiently, which ultimately helps in the fight for every heartbeat. We have made improvements to this policy so that transparency is at the core of what we do, especially around our policy on profiling and wealth screening (see ‘Fundraising’ section below).
The purpose of this policy is to give you a clear explanation about how ARDGOWAN HOSPICE collects and uses the personal information you provide to us and that we collect, whether online, via phone, email, in letters or in any other correspondence or from third parties.
We ensure that we use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information. This policy explains:
- What information ARDGOWAN HOSPICE may collect about you;
- How we will use that information;
- Whether we disclose your details to anyone else;
- Your choices regarding the information you provide to us; and
If you have any queries about this privacy and cookies policy please contact the Data Controller at Ardgowan Hospice, 12 Nelson Street, Greenock, PA15 1TS or email: email@example.com
We are independent hospice in Inverclyde and our registered Scottish charity number is SC011541. We are also registered as a company in Scotland under registration number SC07551.
We collect information in the following ways:
- Information you give us. For example, when you engage with our social media or message boards, make a donation to us, register for an event or otherwise provide us with personal information. When you register, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address and telephone number to store with your account.
- Information we get from your use of our website and services. We collect information about the services you use and how you use them, like when you watch a video on YouTube, visit our website or view and interact with our ads and content.
- Information from third parties. We may also receive information about you from third parties. This can include information such as your name, postal address, email address, phone number, your geographic location (for mobile devices), credit/debit card details and whether you are a tax payer so that we can claim Gift Aid. We, like all companies, are able to confirm what browser you are using, IP address and computer operating systems that are being used and this information may be used to improve the services we offer
Wherever possible we use aggregated or anonymous information which does not identify individual visitors to our websites. See below, under Marketing materials – to understand our purposes for processing your personal information.
Data Protection law recognises that certain categories of personal information are more sensitive. This is known as sensitive personal data and covers health information, race, religious beliefs and political opinions. We do not usually collect ‘sensitive personal data’ about our supporters unless there is a clear reason for doing so, such as participation in a marathon or similar fundraising event or where we need this information to ensure that we provide appropriate facilities or support to enable you to participate in an event.
We may also collect sensitive personal data if you make the information public or if you tell us about your experiences relating to hospice care (for example, if you act as a case study for us or volunteer); however we will always make it clear to you when we collect this information from you, what sensitive personal data we are collecting and why.
In addition, if you register on our websites then the following will also apply:
- ARDGOWAN HOSPICE website collects personal information when you donate, shop or register for an event with us, or if you complete a contact us form.
- The website you sign up to will collect information such as your name, email address and post code. Once you register with that website you will not be anonymous to us when you subsequently sign in.
- As part of the registration process and continued use of ARDGOWAN HOSPICE services, you agree that any information you give to ARDGOWAN HOSPICE will always be accurate, correct and up to date. Please do get in touch should you need to amend any of your personal information.
- We collect and retain information about your interactions with us so that we can process your interactions and deal with future queries.
If you use your credit or debit card to donate to us, buy something or pay for a registration online or over the phone, we will ensure that this is done securely and in accordance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard. You can find our more information about PCI DSS here – https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/index.php
We do not store your credit or debit card details at all, following the completion of your transaction. All card details and validation codes are securely destroyed once the payment or donation has been processed. Only staff authorised and trained to process payments will be able to see your card details.
If we receive an email containing any credit or debit card details, it will be immediately deleted, no payment will be taken and you will be notified about this. All purchases or donations should be completed through the donation page or online shop on our website (www.ardgowanhospice.org.uk) or via our fundraising team by calling 01475 726830, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
In certain instances, we collect and use your personal information by relying on the legitimate interest legal basis. This is because when you, for example, request to receive services or products from ARDGOWAN HOSPICE, we have a legitimate organisational interest to use your personal information to respond to you and there is no overriding prejudice to you by using your personal information for this purpose. This is also the case where we process your donations in support of ARDGOWAN HOSPICE’s objectives, for our internal administrative purposes, and where we need to take steps to protect our network security or risk of fraud.
In most instances, however, we will rely on obtaining your consent to our use of your personal information. This is the case, for example, where we seek to obtain your consent to receive email marketing about ARDGOWAN HOSPICE.
We want to ensure you receive the level of information about ARDGOWAN HOSPICE that is right for you.
If you actively provide your consent to us along with your email address and/or mobile phone number, we may contact you for marketing purposes by email or text message. By subscribing to ARDGOWAN HOSPICE emails or opting in to email communication from ARDGOWAN HOSPICE, you grant us the right to use the email for both email marketing purposes and advertisement targeting
If you have provided us with your postal address or telephone number we may send you direct mail or telephone you about our work unless you have told us that you would prefer not to receive such information. We also actively check telephone numbers against the Telephone Preference Service and will only make telephone calls to you where your telephone number is listed on the TPS if you have specifically told us that you do not object to such calls and have consented to receive them.
It is always your choice as to whether you want to receive information about our work, how we raise funds and the ways you can get involved. If you do not want us to use your personal information in these ways please indicate your preferences on the form on which we collect your data.
You may opt-out of our marketing communications at any time by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link in at the end of our marketing emails sending us an “opt-out” text message, following the instructions we provide you in our initial text.
You can also change any of your contact preferences at any time (including telling us that you don’t want us to contact you for marketing purposes by telephone, or by post) by contacting our fundraising team on 01475 726830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will not use your personal information for marketing purposes if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted by us for such purposes. However, we will retain your details on a suppression list to help ensure that we do not continue to contact you.
We carry out targeted fundraising activity to ensure that we are contacting you with the most appropriate communication, which is relevant and timely and will ultimately provide an improved experience for you. In doing so, we may use profiling techniques or use third party wealth screening companies and insight companies to provide us with general information about you. Such information is compiled using publicly available data about you or information that you have already provided to us.
This activity assists us in understanding the background of the people who support us and helps us to make appropriate requests to supporters who may have the means and the want to give more. You can opt out of your data being used for profiling and wealth screening techniques by contacting email@example.com.
ARDGOWAN HOSPICE may disclose your personal information in the following circumstances:
- To other ARDGOWAN HOSPICE entities, trading subsidiaries, suppliers or service providers only to provide the products or services you’ve requested from our site(s) where, for example, we use a separate company to deliver goods to you.
- To third parties who provide a service to us and are data processors. This would include our trusted partners that work with us in connection with our charitable purposes, and other entities that act as fundraisers for ARDGOWAN HOSPICE, sell ARDGOWAN HOSPICE products or provide ARDGOWAN HOSPICE information and marketing (subject to your communication preferences and our internal policies and procedures). We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and data protection laws and we will make sure that appropriate controls are in place. We enter into contracts with all of our data processors and regularly monitor their activities to ensure they are complying with ARDGOWAN HOSPICE policies and procedures.
- Where we are under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies), or in order to enforce or apply our rights (including in relation to our website or other applicable terms and conditions) or to protect ARDGOWAN HOSPICE, for example in cases of suspected fraud or defamation.
Rest assured, we will never share, sell or swap your details with any third parties for the purposes of their own marketing or the monetising of your data.
If you contact our nursing, clinical or support staff, you may choose to provide details of a personal nature in particular about you or someone else’s health. Our staff will use this personal information and only for the purposes of responding to your enquiry. They will not pass the personal information on to anyone else without express permission except in exceptional circumstances to comply with the nurses’ code of professional conduct or the law. Your personal information and details of your enquiry will be recorded for quality and monitoring purposes and stored on a secure database. Your details will not be used for marketing purposes. If for any reason you want your details removed from these records, please contact our Data Controller on 01475 726830, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of the young people that engage with us through our prevention, survival and support services for young people on our website, at events and at schools.
Our fundraising events also request specific information about the age of participants. If you are under 18 and would like to get involved, please ensure that you have consent from a parent or guardian before giving us your personal information. When we collect information about a child or young person aged under 18 we will make it very clear as to the reasons for collecting this information and how it will be used.
If you post or send any content that we believe to be inappropriate, offensive or in breach of any laws, such as defamatory content on our forums or social media pages, we may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your internet provider or law enforcement agencies.
For financial and technical reasons we may, on occasion decide to use the services of a supplier outside the European Economic Area (EEA), which means that your personal information is transferred, processed and stored outside the EEA. This includes countries that the European Union authorities do not consider provides and adequate level of protection for personal data. However we take steps to put in place suitable safeguards to protect your personal information when processed by the supplier such as entering into the European Commission approved standard contractual clauses. If you would like to receive further information about our safeguards, please contact the Data Controller at Ardgowan Hospice, 12 Nelson Street, Greenock, PA15 1TS or email: email@example.com.
We keep your personal information only for as long as required to operate the service in accordance with legal requirements and tax and accounting rules. Where your information is no longer required, we will ensure it is disposed of in a secure manner.
Cookies are small text files that are automatically placed onto your device by some websites that you visit. They are widely used to improve the performance of a website, for saving different options and to provide website owners with information on how the site is being used.
We use multiple first and third party technologies such as pixel tags and web beacons to track and improve the user experience on our sites, quality of service and to monitor the effectiveness of campaigns and digital marketing activity.
We may use them to:
- see what website content is popular and how people are using the site as they allow us to track users movement through our websites. This type of information is amalgamated so that we can build up a picture of how the site is performing.
- make sure we offer you a consistent service. For example, if we are testing new website content or we want to run a survey, we use tracking to remember what content you have seen or if you have already been asked to join the survey.
In addition, when we email you, we may place a tag (also known as ‘tracking pixel’) on the email we send out. These let us monitor performance of our emails marketing activity.
The accuracy of your personal information is important to us. You can edit your ARDGOWAN HOSPICE account information, including your address and contact details at any time. If you would like to change your preferences or update the details we hold about you other than online, please contact our fundraising team on 01475 726830 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) or firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Fundraising Team, Ardgowan Hospice, 12 Nelson Street, Greenock, PA15 1TS.
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have a right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. You also have the right to request us to erase your personal information, request us to restrict our processing of your personal information or to object to our processing of your personal information.
Should you wish to exercise these rights we require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved identification. Please address requests to the Data Controller, Ardgowan Hospice, 12 Nelson Street, Greenock, PA15 1TS and we will respond within 40 days, of receipt of your written request and confirmed ID. Please provide as much information as possible about the nature of your contact with us to help us locate your records. We reserve the right to charge a fee of £10 for this process.
Where you have provided your consent for our use of your personal information, you always have a right to withdraw your consent at any time.
We may update the terms of this policy at any time, so please do check it from time to time. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address you have provided to us or by placing a prominent notice on our website(s). By continuing to use our website you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.